Travis Boak hopes to play on in 2024, Port Adelaide contract talks, not chaired off after final


Port Adelaide veteran Travis Boak has lifted the lid on the “positive” discussions he has waged with the club as he seeks to play on in 2024.

The Power bowed out of this year’s finals series in straight sets following their 23-point semi-final loss to the Giants on Saturday night.

The club farewelled Tom Jonas after the match with the injured skipper chaired off by Boak and Ollie Wines.

READ MORE: ‘Utterly moronic’ decision costs World Cup star big

READ MORE: Farcical Tigers changes revealed after meeting

READ MORE: NRL’s Vegas plan to avoid ‘public relations disasters’

While no announcement was made surrounding Boak’s retirement at the time, the 35-year-old looked visibly upset, presumably with the prospect that he may have played his last game for the Power, the club he has called home for the past 17 seasons.

Commentators also questioned why Boak wasn’t afforded the same treatment as Jonas, given increasing speculation that this season would be the great’s last at the club.

Boak met with Power coach Ken Hinkley on Tuesday as part of his customary exit interview at season’s end, where he insisted he has more to offer the club if given the chance.

“It was good, a really good chat,” Boak told the media.

“Still working through a few things, a few details but it was a really positive chat.”

Previously regarded as the side’s most consistent players, Boak signed a one-year contract extension last year but his stats have since plummeted well below his previously outstanding averages.

Asked if a new deal had been tabled, Boak said an agreement was yet to be reached between his management and the club at this stage.

“This is a big decision so we will take as long as we need to,” he said.

A lifer at the Power, Boak has played 347 games for the club since being selected with pick No.5 in the 2006 draft.

Queried if he would entertain rival interest, the three-time all-Australian was quick to shut down talk of a move to another club.

“This is my home,” he said.

“This club is going in a really good direction led by Kenny and this playing group.

“Obviously we didn’t finish this year the way we wanted to. But this young group is taking this club forward and that is why I want to be a part of it.

“I still feel like I have plenty in the body and still have fire in the belly.”

Boak claimed discussions about his playing future at the club had been ongoing all year but now negotiations had reached the pointy end.

The former captain headlines a group of Port players yet to be re-signed, which also includes Scott Lycett, Orazio Fantasia and Quinton Narkle.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *