Teri Gehring doesn’t have your average powerlifter profile. A special education teacher by trade, according to her Instagram profile, the 52-year-old Gehring only started competitive powerlifting when she was 49 years old in May 2019 and has already notched several World Records. Yet, as a recent training feat demonstrates, her competitive fire shows no signs of slowing down.
On Oct. 1, 2022, Gehring shared a clip on her Instagram where the athlete successfully locks out a 165.5-kilogram (365-pound) deadlift. Per the post’s caption, it’s a new personal record (PR). Gehring wore a lifting belt to help with the milestone. Based on the angle and length of the video, Gehring does appear to fasten something around her load barbell before making her pull, but it’s not clear if Gehring wore any equipment around her wrists.
Gehring’s massive deadlift is nothing new for a powerlifter who appears to have excelled in many sanctioned contests thus far.
From a debut victory with wraps in the Masters 45-49 division and 60-kilogram weight class at the 2019 United States Powerlifting Association (USPA) Lone Star Shootout to World Records in the squat, bench press, deadlift, and total at the 2022 American Powerlifting Federation (APF) National Championships, Gehring has thrived as a competitor.
Here’s a rundown of some of Gehring’s more notable career results:
Teri Gehring Notable Career Results
- 2019 USPA Lone Star Shootout (Masters 45-49/Wraps) — First place
- 2019 Raw Iron Powerlifting League (RawIronPL) Mayter Mayhem (Masters 1/Wraps) — First place
- 2019 RawIronPL Battle of the Irons (Master 1/Raw) — First place
- 2019-2020 IPL Olympia Pro Powerlifting (Open/Raw) — First place
- 2020 RawIronPL Raw Iron Classic (Master 2/Raw) — First place
- 2021 United States Powerlifting Association (USPA) National Championships (Masters 50-54/Raw) – First place | Bench press and deadlift National Records
- 2021 American Powerlifting Federation Lifting Spirits (Masters 2/Open/Raw/Wraps) — First place
- 2022 APF National Championships (Masters 2/Open/Wraps) — First place | Bench press World Record | Squat, bench press, deadlift, and total National Records
Here’s an overview of Gehring’s raw all-time competition best lifts
Teri Gehring All-Time Raw Competition Bests
- Squat — 127.5 kilograms (281.1 pounds)
- Bench Press — 97.5 kilograms (214.9 pounds)
- Deadlift — 160.5 kilograms (353.8 pounds)
- Total — 382.4 kilograms (843.2 pounds)
At the time of this writing, Gehring has not clarified when she will compete in a powerlifting contest again. Much of her recent social media updates center around other new training accomplishments that don’t appear to be connected to any event. Notably, Gehring is coached by Josh Bryant, renowned powerlifting coach and author of the 2013 book detailing exercise routines in penitentiaries, entitled Jailhouse Strong.
For an athlete who is arguably still at the start of their powerlifting career, and with a whole host of other responsibilities, it appears Gehring is more than satisfied with huge PR lifts for the time being.
Featured image: @teri.ivey45 on Instagram