Michael Masi: Former F1 race director reveals death threats after Max Verstappen claimed Formula One title


“Racist, abusive, vile, they called me every name under the sun,” former race director Michael Masi was threatened after he changed the safety car re-start procedure, denying Lewis Hamilton a record eighth F1 title at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Last Updated: 31/07/22 10:46am

Michael Masi says he received ‘shocking’ abuse

Former race director Michael Masi received death threats after his controversial decision allowed Max Verstappen to claim the Formula One title.

The Australian changed the safety car re-start procedure at the end of December’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, a move that handed the crown to Red Bull’s Verstappen, denying Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton a record eighth title in the process.

“There were some dark days,” Masi told News Corp on Sunday. “And absolutely, I felt like I was the most hated man in the world. I got death threats. People saying, they were going to come after me and my family.”

Formula 1 expert Karun Chandhok analyzes Michael Masi's decision to change the safety car re-start procedure

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Formula 1 expert Karun Chandhok analyzes Michael Masi’s decision to change the safety car re-start procedure

Formula 1 expert Karun Chandhok analyzes Michael Masi’s decision to change the safety car re-start procedure

Masi’s decision to allow lapped cars between leader Hamilton and Verstappen to move around the Mercedes driver and the safety car set up the Dutchman to pass the reigning champion on the final lap and claim the title.

A subsequent report into the Abu Dhabi race in March found that Masi had made a “human error” but acted in “good faith”.

Masi, who left governing body the FIA ​​in March, was the subject of a torrent of abuse on social media.

FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem announced that Masi had been removed as F1 race director

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem announced that Masi had been removed as F1 race director

FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem announced that Masi had been removed as F1 race director

“They were shocking,” Masi said of messages he received on Facebook. “Racist, abusive, vile, they called me every name under the sun.

“And they kept on coming. Not just on my Facebook but also on my LinkedIn, which is supposed to be a professional platform for business. It was the same type of abuse.”

The 44-year-old has since returned to Australia and did not seek professional help in the aftermath of the incident.

“I didn’t want to talk to anyone,” he said.

“Not even family and friends. I only talked to my close family but very briefly.

“It did have a physical impact, but it was more mental. I just wanted to be in a bubble. I had no desire to talk to them. I just wanted to be alone, which was very challenging.

“The whole experience has made me a much stronger person.”





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *